Sunday, August 11, 2013

Back From Prairie Rose Rug School

Oh my, what an amazing time I had at Prairie Rose Rug School. Patty Tyrrell and I weren't sure what to expect at our first rug school, but we knew we would have fun. I have to say that as few as our expectations were, the week far exceeded them.

Our teacher was Michele Wise.  I said the first morning that if I never learned anything the rest of the week I had already learned more than I ever thought I would. She is absolutely the most amazing teacher, and that's not just coming from a first timer at rug school, it came from women who have gone to schools and camps for years. She taught us several different stitches, finishing techniques, color theory, and the list goes on. Michele was not only informative, she was a blast. If I ever get a chance to take a class from her again I will, not just because she's such a great teacher, but because I just plain enjoyed her company.
Check out the finishing technique on Michele's rug.


So many techniques in this rug of Michele's.
 
I can't talk about the school without talking about Suzi Jones, our Director. She is kind, organized, fun, and a pleasure to be with. I can't thank her enough for all her hard work, enthusiasm.  Her mother Pat Horn is a long time rug hooker also. She is also a wealth of knowledge and a heart of gold.
This is Suzi Jones and her rug at another camp. Yes I stole this picture from somewhere on the internet.

I also want to mention how wonderful EVERYONE in Assumption Abbey were. Every Monk I met was so fun. They go out of their way to make their guests feel welcome and the food was unbelievably wonderful. Every single meal was so special and even the breaks had fresh baked cookies, quick breads, and once we even had sticky buns.

I would like to lie and say I forgot my camera, but I didn't. I just didn't take pictures with it. I took pictures of people, just not rugs. I know, what was I thinking?! Obviously, I wasn't. I didn't even take any with my phone. So the next pictures are ones Patty Tyrrell, my traveling partner, room mate, and good friend took.
 This is one hooked by Michele Wise. It is a McGown pattern that she changed the background on.
 
Carolyn Godfread designed and hooked this stunning rug. She is an absolute blast to sit next to the whole week.
 

 The one on the right is hooked by Pat Horn. She used the tan windowpane that I use to over dye and can sell on our website for the entire background. She said that even non-rug hookers comment on her background.
 
 Another rug hooked by Pat Horn and I think the design is by Jojolee Designs. I could be wrong with that name.
 
Sue Cunningham hooked this one . She was a blast to sit next to too. In fact she is another Wyoming girl! She lives in Laramie.

 Brother Lluellyn Kouba hooked this outstanding masterpiece and was working on another equally beautiful rug. In fact he has done a few. He paints and is an amazing potter for the Abbey. He was such a pleasure to meet, as were all the Monks.
 
 This adorable doll is by  Michele Wise. She is just so creative!!
 
So this is just a little about my adventure. I certainly hope to go back next year!

1 comment:

Gayle said...

Hi Sylvia - I'm SO glad you had such a great time at your rug camp! I've heard good things about Michelle Wise before, and everything you said about her rings true with her reputation! I love all the rug photos you have shared too! Thanks for telling us all about it!