Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

This morning I woke up early to start preparations for our family dinner later on today. I try to be grateful every day for the many blessings in my life but this day always makes me look at the big picture.
Today I am grateful that when I woke up there were no bombs going off in the distance. I didn't have to wonder if I was safe. I just assume that I am. My biggest fear outside my home has never been of war but only of the weather. I have a huge fear of a tornado. I'm sure it's the after effects of watching The Wizard of OZ my entire childhood.
I am grateful that my children have never had sickness or injury. I don't mean the flu or skinned knees. We have never dealt with something as horrible as cancer or automobile accidents that were serious.
I am grateful for my children. They have grown up into loving, caring, intelligent, productive adults and I am proud they are mine.
I am grateful for my grandchildren. My daughters have given me two of the most amazing gifts I could have ever wanted. Jenny even died and was brought back to life trying to have another one. I thank God she won that battle. Now, even though she can never have another child, she and Mike are fostering children. That is a blessing for so many too.
I am grateful that when I woke up it was in a house that I love. I am not homeless and I have never been homeless. My heart goes out to those that are. I can't even begin to image how that must feel.
I am grateful not only for my children and grandchildren, but for my husband, who even though he drives me nuts sometimes, okay, a lot, I love him and I thank God for his love and companionship, and support.
I am grateful for my dogs. They bark and drive everyone who walks in the door crazy but when I am alone I know they will bark and protect me from harm. Any time I turn my head I can always find one dog beside me. Nikki is 14 years old now and she has been a great companion and bird dog. They just make me happy.
I am grateful for my job. I work with the most amazing people. They are not only talented beyond belief, but they are all caring and giving.
I am grateful for my friends. I am finally at a point in my life where I am surrounded by genuine, loving, caring people.
I am grateful that I wake up in the mornings to my family, in my house, and email my friends, with my dogs by my side, and I know that in my own little world all is good. There is tragedy in other parts of the world, and there might be some pain in mine, but I thank God for all He has given me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful to have a wonderful caring mom like you. You are always there for us. You take care of my son and I am so thankful for that. All of us have put you through a lot. Of course I was the hard one when I was younger but you stuck by me no matter what I did to you. Thank you for making me who I am today! I love you, Shelly

Toni Whitney said...

Sylvia,
My husband and I just returned from our nephews final season of college football games 100 and 200 miles away for family who ALWAYS go to watch, and the whole day, thought about how lucky I am to be in this family. I turned on my computer and read your beautiful words of thanks, and thought again about how fortunate I am. Your words are perfect. I am SO happy with my home, friends, family, work, and life that I actually wake up with a smile, and find myself doing the same throughout the day with no apparent reason other than pure joy. Thanks for the "Thanksgiving" reminder! Toni